How do I use my Livescribe 3 smartpen with Outline/Outline+?
If you like to keep your notes on a Mac or PC desktop or laptop, Outline for Mac or OneNote is a great solution that helps organize your Livescribe 3 notes on a computer. Using OneDrive (formerly SkyDrive), Dropbox, Box or Microsoft SharePoint Server, notebooks can be synced to the Mac version of Outline or to Microsoft OneNote on Windows.
Check out the press release for more details on the difference between Outline and Outline+, the supported platforms, and the potential for the new Livescribe iOS Mobile SDK. Outline is free to use, so we definitely encourage you to give it a try!
But once you have Outline, how does it work with the Livescribe 3? And how do Outline and Livescribe+ work together? For the sake of simplicity, we'll refer to Outline throughout this article, but both apps behave very similarly, with Outline+ offering enhanced syncing capabilities and support for unlimited notebook pages.
Before You Start:
- Please make sure you've paired your Livescribe 3 to a supported iPad, updated your iPad to the latest version of Livescribe+ in the iTunes App Store, and installed the latest smartpen firmware update.
- Install Outline or Outline+ from the App Store. Outline+ adds support for unlimited pages and cross-device synchronization. You can read more on the difference on the Outline.ws site.
- To sync notebooks with Outline+, you'll need to create a new account or link an existing account on a cloud sharing solution such as Microsoft OneDrive (SkyDrive), Dropbox or Box. You can also use Microsoft SharePoint Server.
- Make sure that Livescribe+ is not open so that your Livescribe 3 smartpen will not try to connect to it automatically.
- Turn on your Livescribe 3 smartpen so the LED is green.
- When you open Outline, the app will automatically detect your smartpen and you'll see a "Connect Your Livescribe 3 Smartpen" screen. Tap the Connect button to connect to Outline. Once connected, your smartpen's LED will turn blue and you'll see the serial number or name for your smartpen on the screen.
- Tap "Done" in the upper right hand corner, and open a current notebook or create a new one.
- Now that you've connected your smartpen to Outline the first time, it will connect automatically when Outline is open on your iPad.
Using Your Smartpen in Outline:
- Once you've connected your smartpen, you'll be able to add handwriting directly to Notebooks. With any Notebook page open, you will see a smartpen logo on the right hand side, at the bottom of the stack of available tools.
- Tap on the smartpen logo, and you should see a message with a red button, and the text "Capturing Livescribe ink. Tap to stop.
- Write in your Livescribe notebook like usual. Your handwriting will be captured by Outline and show up in the app.
- If you go to a new page in your paper notebook, Outline will jump to a new page in the digital notebook. If you tap your pen on an earlier notebook page, Outline will jump back to the corresponding page in the app.
- When you're done taking notes, you can tap anywhere on the screen to stop capture, or just turn off your smartpen.
- Remember to make sure that "Capturing Livescribe ink" is displayed whenever you want to capture notes in Outline.
- If your smartpen is in "offline mode" (the LED is solid green), then the smartpen will still capture handwriting you can import into Livescribe+. However, you can only capture pen strokes in Outline if the app is open, and you see the "Capturing Livescribe ink. Tap to stop" message visible in Outline.
- Make sure to close Livescribe+ in iOS (by double-clicking the Home button and swiping up over Livescribe+) before connecting to Outline to ensure the Outline is capturing the pen strokes (instead of Livescribe+).
- By default, when you're capturing pen strokes in Outline, your handwriting will NOT get transferred into Livescribe+. If you want your notes to appear in Livescribe+, make sure the app is open on your iPhone or iPad.
- You can check the status of your Livescribe 3 in Outline by going into the Settings screen from the opening screen of Outline (look for the 'i' logo icon at the bottom of the screen). Tap Settings, then External Accessories. You should see "Livescribe smartpen" listed, and tapping that will bring you to the connection screen.
For more information, please go to the Outline User Guide, and tap the Settings\Livescribe 3 smartpen section.