How do I completely reset my Livescribe 3 smartpen using a Windows machine?
We have a Windows Helper utility you can use to completely erase and reset your Livescribe 3 smartpen.
All of the data stored on your pen will be removed, including notes you have taken and sessions you have recorded.
To use the Helper app to reset the smartpen you must be at a Windows computer (not a tablet or phone):
- Connect your Livescribe 3 pen to the USB cable (if not already connected).
- Download Livescribe Helper from http://www.livescribe.com/downloads/support/LivescribeHelper_Win.exe.
- Double-click on the downloaded "LivescribeHelper_Win_v#" file and follow the prompts to install the software.
- If it doesn't start automatically, run Livescribe Helper. For Windows 8 type "helper" from the Start screen, select Apps, and select "Livescribe Helper". For Win 7/Vista/XP access "Start > All Programs > Livescribe > Livescribe Helper".
- Hold the "Ctrl" key down on your keyboard and from the Helper menu select "File > Customer Support > Master Reset Smartpen" (your smartpen must be connected or this option will be grayed out. If the smartpen isn't recognized, please see 85121 - WIFI/ECHO/PULSE - Windows (or Mac) - Smartpen not recognized by Echo Desktop (ECHO/PULSE)/Livescribe Helper (WIFI)).
- At the prompt "This will erase all personal data, settings and applications on the smartpen. Do you want to continue?" click "Yes" to start the master reset process. The LED will flash yellow while the smartpen is reset.
- At the prompt "A smartpen update is available" click the "Install" button to install the firmware. Please allow up to a minute for the update to complete.
Once the update finishes, the LED will turn green indicating your smartpen has been reset and updated with the latest firmware and is now charging.
If you get an error during the update and have made several attempts to re-install the pen firmware without success you can try updating the firmware bundle manually by doing the following:
- Click on this link to download the firmware bundle - https://www.dropbox.com/s/2ohpqybiz2u9t4k/LivescribeSmartpenUpdate_v22.214.171.1240.bnd?dl=0
- Save the file to your desktop.
- Drag the file from your desktop over the Livescribe Helper app window and drop the file. NOTE: If the update does not start immediately and instead there is an "Install" button, drag the file over Helper once more.
- A message "Installing the update. Please wait…" will appear in the window. If you don't see this message, drag the bundle file over the Helper window and drop the file again. Allow up to 10 minutes for the update to complete.
If an error appears during the update try disconnecting/reconnecting your smartpen and repeat the drag and drop process above. If you continue to get an error please let us know.