How can I update my Livescribe 3 smartpen firmware if I cannot do the update through the Livescribe+ app?
We have a Mac Helper app utility you can use to update your Livescribe 3 smartpen when you cannot update using the normal Livescribe+ app process.
This app does not work properly on a tablet so you must be at your computer.
To use the Helper app:
- Connect your Livescribe 3 pen to the USB cable (if not already connected).
- Install Livescribe Helper from http://www.livescribe.com/downloads/support/LivescribeHelper_Mac.dmg. To install for OS 10.8 (Mountain Lion) or later you may need to "control"-click or right-click on the Livescribe Helper icon, select "Open", and then select "Open" again.
- Run Livescribe Helper by accessing Finder "Go > Applications".
- Click the "Install" button to install the firmware. The LED will flash yellow while the smartpen updates. Please allow a few minutes for the firmware update to complete.
Once the update finishes, the LED will turn green indicating your smartpen has been updated with the latest firmware and is now charging.
If an error appears during the update, try disconnecting/reconnecting your smartpen and repeat the process above. If you continue to get an error:
- Click on your desktop to access Finder.
- From the top menu (File / Edit / View / Go) select "Go > Applications".
- Drag the "Livescribe Helper" icon to the Dock at the bottom of your desktop. The Helper icon must be showing on the Dock with the other app icons for this process to work.
- Click on this link to download the firmware bundle - http://www.livescribe.com/downloads/support/LivescribeSmartpenUpdate_v184.108.40.206.bnd At the prompt click "Save File".
- Open your Downloads folder (if it is not already open).
- Click on the "LivescribeSmartpenUpdate_<version>.bnd" file and hold down the mouse button.
- Drag the bundle file onto your desktop and release the mouse button.
- Click on the "LivescribeSmartpenUpdate_<version>.bnd" file on your desktop, hold down the mouse button, and drag the bundle file over the Livescribe Helper icon on your Dock so that the Livescribe Helper icon is highlighted.
- Release the mouse button to drop the bundle on the icon.
This will start the firmware update and should resolve your issue. If you still have a problem updating please let us know.