What are the wireless security protocols that the Livescribe wifi smartpen can connect to?
The Livescribe wifi smartpen works with routers that support WEP 64 bit, WEP 128 bit, WPA-PSK, WPA2-PSK, WPA/WPA2, and WPA-Enterprise security protocols when the network is broadcasting its network name (SSID).
For hidden networks, you will have to manually add the network SSID/name to your smartpen. Not all of the networks above are supported as hidden networks. For more information please see 20232 - WIFI - Connecting to networks not broadcasting an SSID (hidden networks).
The wifi smartpen uses ports 80 (http) and 443 (https) to communicate with the Livescribe servers.
NOTE: WPS and WPA2-Enterprise are not supported at this time.
Networks that authenticate using EAP (Extensible Authentication Protocol) are also not supported.
To check your router's security protocol:
Windows 8, 7, Vista
- Click on the "Internet access" icon in your Task Bar next to the date and time (requires clicking in lower left corner of the desktop for Win 8 to get to Classic mode).
- Mouse over the wireless network name you are connected to. The "Security" (8) / "Security Type" (7 & Vista) the router is using will be displayed.
- Click on the "Wireless Network Connection Status" icon in your Task Bar next to the date and time.
- Click the "View Wireless Networks" button.
Under the wireless network name you are connected to, the "Security-enabled wireless network" will indicate the router's security protocol.
Mac OS X
- Click the "Wi-Fi" icon on the top menu bar to the left of volume, battery, and day/time.
- Select "Open Network Preferences…" at the bottom of the list.
- Select the "Advanced…" button.
- Make sure the "Wi-Fi" tab is selected.
In the "Preferred Networks:" list, the security protocol will be listed next to the wireless network name you are connected to.
If your router is not using a supported security protocol from the list above but you somehow managed to connect to it, using your smartpen and notebook:
- Double-tap the center of a menu navigation button (the arrows at the bottom left of your notebook page) to go the "Main Menu".
- Tap down to "Settings" and tap right.
- Tap right to select "Wi-Fi Settings".
- Tap down to "Manage Networks" and tap right.
- Tap down to "Forget a network" and tap right.
- Scroll to the unsupported network (if more than one is listed) and tap right to forget the network.
If your router security protocol is not supported you can try syncing over cable. Please see 82206 - Syncing Livescribe wifi smartpen data with Evernote when unable to sync using WiFi network (sync over cable).
If your router is using one of the supported security protocols above but you are having difficulty connecting to the network please see 25500 - Livescribe wifi smartpen cannot find WiFi network.
If your connection is a success but notes are not syncing please see 25501 - Livescribe wifi smartpen OLED shows message "Sync Error!"