How can I update my Echo/Pulse smartpen firmware if I cannot do the update through the Livescribe Desktop app?
We have a Windows Smartpen Flash utility you can use to update your Echo or Pulse smartpen when you cannot update using the normal Livescribe Desktop process.
WARNING: Always use the latest utility in this article, not one you previously downloaded. Smartpen firmware cannot be downgraded. If it is downgraded the smartpen could stop functioning properly (example: firmware X.5 is on the smartpen but you experience a problem and use an older utility to load firmware X.4 to try and "fix" the issue. Not only could this "fix" cause problems with the way the smartpen works, but it could also damage the data stored on it and require a master reset of the smartpen).
To install the Windows Smartpen Flash utility:
- Click on this link
- Save the "LivescribeSmartpenFlashUtility_<version>_Win.zip" file.
- Once saved, at the prompt click "Open".
- Double-click the "LivescribeSmartpenFlashUtility_<version>_Win.msi" file.
- At the prompt click "Run" (Windows 8 - at the "Windows protected your PC" message click "More info" and then "Run anyway").
- Follow the prompts to install the utility.
To update the firmware:
- Open Livescribe Desktop.
- From the top Menu select "Tools > Livescribe Desktop Settings… > General".
- Uncheck the "Autolaunch Livescribe Desktop when Smartpen is Connected" option (you can turn this back on after updating the smartpen).
- Uncheck the "Autolaunch Livescribe Connect when Smartpen is Connected" option (you can turn this back on after updating the smartpen).
- Close Livescribe Desktop.
- Shut down Connect by right-clicking on the Connect icon in the system tray and selecting "Exit" (Windows 8 - press the Windows key on the keyboard to access Desktop and see the system tray).
- Plug the USB charging cable directly into a USB port on your computer.
- Connect your smartpen to your USB charging cable.
- Windows 8 - Press the "Windows" key (between "Ctrl" and "Alt" on your keyboard) to go to the start screen, type "smartpen flash", click on "Apps" on the right, and select "Smartpen Flash (PenApps #.#)". Windows 7/Vista/XP - Go to "Start > All Programs > Livescribe > Tools" and open the "Smartpen Flash (PenApps #.#)" utility (A message should appear below the update button similar to " [00:01] AYE-AAA-EZH-ZD (C): Pen Found and Ready - Click Update to proceed". If you do not see this message please reference 85121 - Windows - Smartpen not recognized by Livescribe Helper (wifi) or Livescribe Desktop (Echo/Pulse).
- Click the "Update" button. As the smartpen is updated the messaging will flash in blue. The process can take approximately 10 minutes.
The update is complete when you see "Finished: PASSED verification" in green. If you see a different message, undock and re-dock your pen and try the update again.
To restart Connect:
- Windows 8 - Click the folder on the taskbar to open File Explorer. Windows 7/Vista/XP - Right-click on your Windows "Start" button and select "Open Windows Explorer" (7) / "Explore" (Vista/XP).
- For 64-bit machines navigate to "CD C:\Program Files (x86)\Livescribe\ Livescribe Connect". For 32-bit machines navigate to "CD C:\Program Files\Livescribe\Livescribe Connect".
- Double-click on the "Livescribe Connect.exe" file (you may just see "Livescribe Connect" if you are not viewing file extensions).
Now you can send using Connect again.