How do I completely reset my Livescribe wifi smartpen using a Mac?
We have a Mac Helper utility you can use to completely erase and reset your wifi smartpen.
All of the data stored on your pen will be removed, including notes you have taken and sessions you have recorded. You will not be able to restore your data to the smartpen by syncing with Evernote as data only transfers one way - from the smartpen to Evernote.
To master reset the Livescribe wifi smartpen:
- Plug the USB charging cable into a USB port directly on your computer, not a USB hub, keyboard, or monitor.
- Connect your smartpen to your USB charging cable. This should start the Mac Livescribe Helper app if it was previously installed. If Helper doesn't start, click on this link to install it - http://www.livescribe.com/downloads/support/LivescribeHelper_Mac.dmg. To install for OS 10.8 (Mountain Lion) or later you may need to "control"-click or right-click on the Livescribe Helper icon, select "Open", and then select "Open" again.
- If prompted that a newer version of Helper is available, click the "Update" button. On the page that opens click the "Download Livescribe Helper for Mac" in the lower right corner to install the latest version. NOTE: Once Helper is updated you will need to shut down Helper (top menu "Livescribe Helper > Quit Livescribe Helper) and reconnect your Livescribe wifi smartpen to start Helper again.
- Once your smartpen is detected it may take the Helper App a few minutes to download the latest firmware.
- Hold down the "option" key on your keyboard and from the top menu options click on "Livescribe Helper > Customer Support > Master Reset Smartpen".
- At the "Okay to Master Reset the Smartpen?" prompt, click the "Continue" button.
- Click the "Install" button. Once the update finishes, your smartpen has been reset and updated with the latest firmware.
- Tap on the "Scan for Networks" button on the inside front cover of your WiFi Starter Notebook, then find and select your network.
After connecting to the network, the registration scrolling message on your smartpen OLED screen will disappear. Make sure to set the time and date again by using the buttons on the back cover of your WiFi Starter Notebook.
If you get an error during the update and have made several attempts to re-install the pen firmware without success you can try updating the firmware bundle manually by doing the following:
- Click on your desktop to access Finder.
- From the top menu (File / Edit / View / Go) select "Go > Applications".
- Drag the "Livescribe Helper" icon to the Dock at the bottom of your desktop. The Helper icon must be showing on the Dock with the other app icons for this process to work.
- Click on this link to download the firmware bundle -http://www.livescribe.com/downloads/support/LivescribeSmartpenUpdate_v18.104.22.168.bnd
- At the prompt click "Save File".
- Open your Downloads folder (if it is not already open).
- Click on the "LivescribeSmartpenUpdate_<version>.bnd" file and hold down the mouse button.
- Drag the bundle file onto your desktop and release the mouse button.
- Click on the "LivescribeSmartpenUpdate_<version>.bnd" file on your desktop, hold down the mouse button, and drag the bundle file over the Livescribe Helper icon on your Dock so that the Livescribe Helper icon is highlighted.
- Release the mouse button to drop the bundle on the icon.
This will start the firmware update and should resolve your issue.
If an error appears during the update try disconnecting/ reconnecting your smartpen and repeat the drag and drop process above.
If you see "Checking for updates for Smartpen: Smartpen SN AYE-ARZ-ZZZ-ZZ version: #.#.#.##### - please wait…" for over five minutes, disconnect your internet connection and then follow the instructions above from step 9 above.
If you continue to get an error please let us know.