What do I do if my my smartpen displays one of these messages: System Failure 3, Error Code 3, or Error Code ###?
If your smartpen is displaying a "System Failure 3", "Error Code 3", or "Error Code ###" message that won't go away please try the following:
- Undock your smartpen from the USB charging cable and try a hard reset by pressing and holding the power button for 10+ seconds (this will not affect the data on your smartpen). Your smartpen will restart in a recording session and will turn off again. Press the power button. Your smartpen will restart with the message "livescribe… Starting…" (wifi or Echo) / "livescribe… Starting…Checking filesystem" (Pulse).
- As a quick test tap the "record" button at the bottom of a page in your Livescribe notebook. If "System Failure 3", "Error Code 3", or "Error Code ###" displays you may have too many sessions. Having around 400 or more sessions on the pen can cause this error. You may be able to resolve this error by updating your firmware. To check your firmware version, please see 28004 - Getting the smartpen firmware version.
- If there is no firmware update then you need to remove some sessions from the pen. To free up memory please reference 82500 - WIFI - Freeing smartpen memory / archiving notebooks or 80404 - ECHO/PULSE - Archiving a notebook from an Echo or Pulse smartpen using Livescribe Desktop.
For Echo or Pulse pens, if the above steps do resolve the error then the audio session you were recording when the error appeared should transfer to Livescribe Desktop but the page you were writing on may appear as a blank page. If you need the notes for that page and:
- There is no audio associated with the notes then simply trace over the notes, dock your smartpen and the updated notes will transfer.
- There was audio associated with the notes then tap the ink of the first note you made to start audio playback from the smartpen and start tracing over your notes; stop playback at the end of page, dock your smartpen, and the updated notes will transfer and should be linked to the audio as annotated notes.
If the above steps do not resolve the error then your data has been corrupted and all the data on your pen will need to be erased.
For instructions on erasing the data on the pen please reference the appropriate article below:
29001 - ECHO/PULSE - Windows Master Reset and firmware update utility
29101 - ECHO/PULSE - Mac Master Reset and firmware update utility
29021 - WIFI - Windows Master Reset and firmware update utility
29121 - WIFI - Mac Master Reset and firmware update utility
If you are unable to master reset the smartpen then please let us know.