How are Livescribe smartpens different from each other and which one should I buy?
With the launch of the Livescribe 3 smartpen, some of our passionate fans have asked us what the plans are for the Sky wifi smartpen and the Echo smartpen. New fans have asked what the difference is in these products, and which the best one is for them.
It really depends on what you're looking for in a note taking tool, and how you're most productive. Taking notes on paper is a natural process and we want to fit easily into whichever process suits you best.
What's Consistent Across the Board
What stays the same for all Livescribe products?
- All three products will continue to be sold and supported at Livescribe.com
- Livescribe smartpens allow you to transfer your handwritten notes to digital devices using special dot paper that doesn't require calibration or additional sensor hardware.
- All Livescribe smartpens record audio linked to your handwritten notes. Livescribe 3 uses the microphone/speaker on an iPhone or iPad, whereas Sky wifi and Echo use microphones and speakers built directly into the smartpen.
- No matter which device you're connecting with or using, all Livescribe smartpens can capture written notes with just a notepad and the smartpen.
What you do next depends on your desire….
The Livescribe 3 is designed as your ultimate mobile companion, the perfect pen to complement your smartphone or tablet. If you're someone who always has their iPhone or iPad by their side, is constantly on the go, and wants to easily transfer phone numbers, events, or action items into their phone or tablet, the Livescribe 3 is your best choice.
The Livescribe 3 uses the microphone and speaker on your iPhone or iPad to create quality audio recordings linked to your written notes, and will allow you to search through your handwritten notes. It will even keep your handwritten notes synchronized across up to four different iPhones and iPads - so if you use both a smartphone and tablet, all your written notes will be on both devices. Since the audio is stored on the phone/tablet, Livescribe 3 can hold up to 20,000 pages of notes.
The Livescribe 3 is a sleek, elegant smart device that looks like a high-end fountain pen, and works like a super-computer to turn your words into action.
What else can it do? The Livescribe 3 allows you to:
- Write on Livescribe dot paper and watch everything appear instantly on iPhone, iPad or iPod touch devices with Bluetooth® Smart wireless technology
- Use the built-in microphones on a tablet or smartphone to create interactive "pencasts" that synchronize recorded audio with written notes
- Convert handwriting to text to create tasks, reminders, contacts and calendar events
- Add photos and text memos to notes to add context and clearly communicate details
- Share written notes, photographs and diagrams as PDF files over Mail, Messages, Evernote, Dropbox and other apps
The Sky wifi smartpen is an excellent way to record and organize all of your notes in Evernote with a solution that captures everything automatically. Once your notes and recordings are in Evernote, they're available on just about any device, including Macs and PCs, Android, iOS, Windows Phone and Blackberry smartphone or tablets. Evernote even does basic OCR on your notes so you can quickly find keywords, and integrates with TranscribeMe to provide full typed transcriptions of your audio pencasts. So if you're frequently on a wireless network, and want everything stored in the cloud, the Sky wifi smartpen is the one for you.
In addition to reviewing pencasts on your computer and mobile device, you can also:
- Search - Notes are searchable by tags, titles, keywords and even specific words in handwritten notes
- Share - Individual notes, including pencasts, can be shared publically or privately with colleagues and peers via link, email, Facebook, Twitter or LinkedIn. Entire notebooks can also be shared for easy collaboration
- Organize - Pencasts can be organized alongside other related content including documents, presentations, photos, videos and web pages
Echo is the starting point of our three-pronged strategy. The Echo is best if you want to keep all of your notes and recordings on one laptop or desktop, and connect a micro-USB cable to transfer over all your information. The Echo uses Livescribe Desktop software for Windows and Mac to organize your notes, and allows you to send your notes via Evernote, Facebook or email. Echo is a great product for students, reporters, or anyone who just wants to keep all their information on their computer. It's won awards from everyone from MacLife to BusinessWeek to Laptop Magazine.
Echo also includes:
- Launch Line: a new way to access and launch applications in seconds
- Password protection: ensures recorded audio on your smartpen remains private and safe
- Custom smartpen name: display a name or other contact information on the OLED screen, making identifying the owner of a smartpen easy
- Custom notebooks: group and organize notes as easily as creating a playlist in iTunes
- Pencast import/export: save and share pencast files locally to your desktop, a server, or to send to others as an integrated audio/notes document. Anyone with the Livescribe Desktop software (free download online) can now open, view and interact with a native Livescribe file
The wifi and Echo smartpens have a sleek design, comfortable ergonomic shape, and (for all wifi smartpens and for 4GB and 8GB Echo smartpens) a non-latex rubberized grip. The 2GB Echo smartpens do not have a rubberized grip.
Echo smartpens support apps from the online App Store. The wifi smartpen does not support apps from the App Store.
Here's a helpful chart if you'd just like to see all the differences and similarities at a glance.