How do I know if the infrared light in my smartpen is working?
If your smartpen reacts to some but not all of the buttons on the Livescribe paper, you may need to update your smartpen firmware to the latest version. For Livescribe WIFI smartpens please reference 20650 - WIFI - Livescribe Helper application downloads. For ECHO/PULSE smartpens please reference 80800 - How do I update my smartpen firmware using Livescribe Desktop?
To test your smartpen and make sure it is recording your ink strokes:
- Power on your smartpen. If you cannot get the smartpen to turn on, access 26001 - My smartpen does not charge when I dock it to the charging cable.
- Turn your smartpen upside down with the tip facing you.
- Press down on the pen tip ink cartridge or stylus. Each time you press on the tip, the force sensing resistor (FSR) should activate a dim red light which will appear on one side of the smartpen's lens (the light is very faint - you may need to test the smartpen in a darker environment to see the red light). If the light turns on and off when the tip is pressed and released then there is not an issue with the smartpen FSR.
- If you don't see the red light or the light is on and will not turn off remove the ink cartridge or stylus and inspect it. If the cartridge appears bent, replace it with another cartridge or stylus. If there is anything on the cartridge or stylus, clean it off and place it back in the smartpen. NOTE: If you have wrapped tape around any part of your ink cartridge to reduce the movement or sound of the cartridge while using it, this can cause the Force Sensing Relay to get stuck in the "on" position. Remove the tape and ANY residue from the ink cartridge to allow normal movement of the cartridge and prevent problems with the FSR.
- Try the light test again.
If after several attempts you don't see the light, or the light stays on even after you stop pressing on the pen tip, then there is a problem with the smartpen optics/FSR and you will need to contact us to let us know.