Why does my wifi smartpen display a "Connect the pen to the internet" when I try to sync?
If your Livescribe wifi smartpen displays "Connect the pen to the internet" then you may not be connected to a WiFi network when you are attempting to sync. Use the "Scan for Networks", "Find your Network", and "Select your Network" buttons on the inside front cover of your WiFi Starter notebook or WiFi Sticker Sheet to connect to a WiFi network.
If you already selected and entered a password for your network but still get the "Connect the pen to the internet" message:
- Tap the "Wifi Off/On" button located on your notebook cover. Do this three more times to turn WiFi off and then back on.
- Tap the "Sync Now" button on the cover.
If still an issue:
- Double-tap the menu navigation button in the lower left of a notebook page and access "Settings > Wi-Fi Settings > Manage Networks > Forget all networks".
- Scan for networks again and select your network once more.
If you are still seeing this message when you attempt to sync, make sure the router has an internet connection by accessing another wireless device and opening a web page.
If there is an internet connection but you still see the message when syncing then try a hard reset of your smartpen (this will not affect your data). To hard reset the smartpen:
- Undock it from the charging cable.
- Press and hold the power button for 10+ seconds. Your pen will restart in a recording session. KEEP HOLDING THE POWER BUTTON UNTIL THE SMARTPEN TURNS OFF.
- Press the power button. Your smartpen will restart with the message "livescribe… Starting…"
- Try syncing again.
If you still get the "Connect the pen to the internet" message then the network may also require a User Name to be entered in order to gain internet access. If you are at work or school then the IT department may be allowing internet access by authenticating your computer using the User Name/password you used to log on to the machine initially. If this is the case then you may not be aware that a User Name is required since you are not prompted to enter one every time you access the internet, but this requirement is going to prevent the wifi smartpen from syncing.
If you have to manually add a User Name/password to a browser to gain internet access (such as at a coffee shop, hotel or airport "captive portal") then you will have the same issue.
Currently the wifi smartpen does not have an option to enter a User Name when connecting to a WiFi network. We are looking into whether or not this is an option that we can add to the smartpen, but until then you can use the Livescribe Helper app to sync your smartpen. Please see 82206 - WIFI - Syncing wifi smartpen data with Evernote when unable to sync using WiFi (sync over cable).
If your IT group does not use authentication to allow internet access then they may be maintaining a "safe list" of device MAC addresses to allow access through their proxy server. If so then please see 20237 - WIFI - Using wifi smartpen at a school or office that requires a MAC address.