Using my Mac, why can't I play audio when I open a Pencast PDF?
If you are trying to open a Pencast PDF on your Mac that includes audio, by default Mac uses an Adobe Reader Preview version to open all PDF documents.
This Preview version cannot play audio as this is a new feature that Adobe and Livescribe have introduced. To allow a Pencast PDF to play audio, download Adobe Reader X (10.0.0 or higher) using the link at the top of the Pencast PDF or go to:
IMPORTANT: After you download and install Adobe Reader X you must open it and make it the default for opening PDF documents.
To do so:
- Click on your desktop to access Finder.
- From the top Menu select Go > Applications.
- Double-click on "Adobe Reader".
- When the message below appears click Yes.
If you previously clicked No or check-marked "Do not show this message again" you can still make Adobe Reader the default for opening PDF documents. To do so:
- Hold "control" down on your keyboard and click on the Pencast PDF you want to open.
- Select the "Open with > Other..." option.
- Make sure "Applications" appears in the top drop-down menu and then select "Adobe Reader".
- Click the "Always Open With" check-box and click the Open button.
After changing Adobe Preview to Adobe Reader X (10.0.0 or higher) as the default PDF application, all of your Livescribe Pencast PDFs will be able to show notes AND play audio in the future!
NOTE: If you are trying to open the Pencast PDF with a web browser such as Safari using Evernote's site, after installing Adobe Reader you will need to close all of your browser windows in order for the Adobe Reader plug-in to activate.
If you get an error opening the PDF in Safari please see 180011 - When I try opening an Evernote Pencast PDF using my Mac Safari browser I get an error message "Safari quit unexpectedly while using the AdobeZBuffer plug-in."
If after following the steps above you still have an issue playing audio (green ink) from a Pencast PDF please let us know.