How can I install the Android Livescribe+ app?
What will I need?
- A Livescribe 3 smartpen. Your current Livescribe 3 (standard or Pro edition) will work fine, and your current written notes already stored on your Livescribe 3 smartpen will transfer over to Livescribe+ for Android. If you need to purchase a Livescribe 3, please visit the Livescribe Store or check out our Where To Buy page for a retailer near you.
- An Android smartphone or tablet with Bluetooth Smart (also known as Bluetooth 4.0 Low Energy) hardware support. Livescribe Link will test for this when you first start the app (see below for download instructions). Click here for a preliminary list of compatible devices, which will grow over time.
- Android KitKat 4.4.2 or newer operating system. Your mobile device must have Android 4.4.2 installed at a minimum to properly support Bluetooth Smart. Please check with your carrier or device manufacturer for an update if needed. Android 5.0 Lollipop is supported as well.
- How do I install the app?
- To download the apps for your Android device, visit Google Play or the Amazon Appstore:
Google Play Livescribe+: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.livescribe.companion Livescribe Link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.livescribe.smartpenutility
Amazon Appstore Livescribe+: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XZ5WS8Y/ref=mas_pm_Livescribe+ Livescribe Link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XZ5Q9QG/ref=mas_pm_Livescribe_Link
To provide feedback on the app, please fill out the survey at:
- Additional FAQs
- How will I get updates? Once you download Livescribe+ and Livescribe Link from the Google Play store, the normal Android update process will alert you of any updates. If you want automatic updates, please go into Play Store, select My Apps, tap on Livescribe Link and tap the Overflow Menu and check the Auto-Update box. Then repeat for Livescribe+ so your apps will be automatically updated by Google. You may want to manually check for updates to get that day's latest version.
- Can I use the Livescribe 3 smartpen I have today? Yes, you can pair your smartpen to up to four different iOS or Android devices and your written notes (already stored on the Livescribe 3 smartpen) will transfer over to each device. As with iOS, your pencasts will stay on the original mobile device unless you specifically send them from one device to the other via email, or sharing to various cloud destination solutions.
- How soon will I see my notes/Feed snippets appear in the app? If you already have a Livescribe 3 smartpen with lots notes stored on it, it may take a while to import and process your old data. Once you connect your smartpen to the Android app, you'll see the 'syncing' icon. After roughly 20-40 minutes, you should see all the notes in your Notebooks. After another hour or two, all your old notes will be processed in the Feed, and turned into individual snippets. Then, the handwriting recognition will start processing those snippets into digital text. For new notes, you should see them converted and in the Feed within minutes, but it may take several hours to catch up on the older data. So please be patient if you don't see your notebooks or anything in the Feed at first.
- How do I un-pair any existing devices if I have too many? You can view the list of paired devices by tapping the smartpen icon (when the smartpen is connected). You'll see a list that says "Paired Devices" and you can tap on any of those devices to remove it from the list. Are all the features currently in Livescribe+ for iOS available at the launch of Livescribe+ for Android? In the same way that we've added new features to Livescribe+ for iOS since we first launched, we'll also be adding certain features to the Android version after launch. For the latest list of features/known issues, please check the RELEASE NOTES.
- These features will not be in the initial release:
- Auto-send to Microsoft OneNote or Evernote - however you can use the Android Send function to share PDF files of your notes (whole notebooks or any selection of pages) to most apps that support PDFs, including Evernote and OneNote.
- PIN Code support - if you already have a PIN code set on your smartpen, please clear the PIN code using the iOS version of Livescribe+ before installing the Android app.
- Collections and Tagging - Support for tagging your notes for the Collections area, specifically the Flag, Tag and Favorite paper buttons in your notebook, will not be available at launch.
- Adding photos and text notes to your Feed.
- Which notebooks can I use? All Livescribe dot-paper notebooks are supported by all of our smartpens. You may need a firmware update for your smartpen to support the latest notebooks.
- Can I use the Sky wifi or Echo smartpens for this app? No, the Android version of Livescribe+ is only for the Livescribe 3 smartpen. However, for Sky wifi, you can use the Android Evernote client to access your notes, and with Echo Desktop, you can export your pencasts to many different mobile devices.
- How are pencasts working? Your audio pencasts are stored on your mobile device, so please email them to yourself or save to a cloud service such as Dropbox before uninstalling the Livescribe+ app.
- What are the minimum requirements for Android devices? o Android 4.4.2 KitKat or newer o Bluetooth Smart (4.0 Low Energy) hardware support o Check our preliminary list of supported devices for more specifics