My Windows Echo Desktop software locks up while displaying "Checking for updates..." whenever I connect my smartpen. How can I resolve this?
If the Windows Echo Desktop software locks up while displaying "Checking for updates..." when you connect your smartpen, this may be related to your Windows User Access Control setting.
If you don't want to change your UAC setting:
- Right-click on your Task Bar.
- Select "Start Task Manager".
- From the Applications tab select "Echo Desktop" and click "End Task".
- Right-click the Echo Desktop icon on your desktop (or the one located at "Start > All Programs > Livescribe").
- Select "Run as Administrator".
You might only need to do this once to finish the smartpen update, but if you continue to have issues with the desktop software freezing and want to change your UAC setting so that you don't have to run as administrator every time:
- Windows 8 - From the Start screen:
- Type "uac", select "Settings" on the right.
- Click on "Change User Account Control Settings".
- Drag the slider bar down to a lower setting than "Always notify".
- Click/tap "OK".
- Windows 7/ Windows Vista - Please access http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Turn-User-Account-Control-on-or-off.
If you still have a problem please let us know.