Getting logs when Windows SmartpenFlash (PenApps #.#) utility stalls or crashes
In order to help us research your issue with the System Software/firmware failing to update using Livescribe Desktop or the SmartpenFlash PenApps utility, could you please provide some log files?
To get the Livescribe logs:
- Dock your smartpen.
- Start Livescribe Desktop if it doesn't open automatically.
- Hold down your keyboard "Ctrl" key.
- From the top menu select "Help", "Customer Service Tools", and then "Transfer Pen Log…" and click "OK". NOTE: If "Transfer Pen Log" is grayed out make sure your smartpen is connected. If it is connected then just go to the next step.
- Go back to "Help" and then "Save Data for Customer Service…"
- Save the file to your preferred folder or Browse and save to your Windows desktop.
- Reply to this email and attach the newly created "Desktop_report.lscs" file.
To get the Smartpen Flash utility logs you will first need to make sure hidden folders are visible. To do so:
- Windows 8 - Mouse over the lower left corner of the screen to get the Start icon to appear, right-click, and select "control Panel". Windows 7, Vista & XP - Click on the Windows "Start" button and select "Control Panel".
- Windows 8/7/Vista - From Category view, click on "Appearance and Personalization" and select "Show Hidden Files or Folders". From Icons view double-click "Folder Options" and select the "View" tab. Windows XP - Double-click "Folder Options" and select the "View" tab.
- Under the "Hidden files and folders" section, if not already selected, select the radio button labeled "Show hidden files and folders" and click "OK".
Now you can access the data folder. To do so:
- Windows 8 - Mouse over the lower left corner of the screen to get the Start icon to appear, right-click, and select "File Explorer". Windows 7/Vista/XP - Right-click on your Windows "Start" button and select "Open Windows Explorer" (7) / "Explore" (Vista/XP).
- Windows 8/7/Vista users navigate to "C:\Users\your_windows_account_name\AppData\Local\Livescribe". Windows XP users navigate to "C:\Documents and Settings \your_windows_account_name\ Local Settings\Application Data\Livescribe".
- Right click on the "Logs" folder and select "Send to >" / "Compressed (zipped) Folder".
- In the Compressed (zipped) Folder dialog window click "Yes".
- Attach the newly created "Logs.zip" file to this email.
We appreciate this information and will use this to research your issue.