How can I back up the Livescribe+ data stored on my iPad, iPhone or iPod Touch?
Currently there is not an option to back up Livescribe+ data from within the app, nor can you synchronize your Livescribe+ data between devices, but Livescribe+ data can be backed up using Apple's iTunes or Apple's iCloud.
If you back up Livescribe+ data from your iPad (for example), and want to restore that data to a different device such as your iPhone, make sure the different device has enough space for all of the data in the restore file. Also if you are using iCloud for the restore, please see this section of the Apple post about what will and won't be restored - Can I restore my iPhone or iPod touch using a backup made from my iPad?
IMPORTANT: Uninstalling Livescribe+ from a device will delete any audio files that were recorded using Livescribe+ on that device. The only way to recover these files would be from iTunes or iCloud if a backup was previously made and no update has been done to the backed up data after uninstalling Livescribe+.
Each backup option is a full restore of the iOS device. You cannot choose to just restore the Livescribe+ data.
Using the iTunes manual process to back up data creates a "snapshot" of your Livescribe+ data. The benefit of this is you can restore data you have deleted since your last back up, such as notes or audio files, as long as you restore the device before doing another back up.
- Connect your iOS device to your computer and open iTunes.
- Click on the name of your iOS device.
- If not already selected, click on the "Summary" button at the top of the window.
- Under "Backups" select the "This computer" radio button.
- Under "Manually Back Up and Restore" click on "Back Up Now".
This will create a backup of all the data on your iOS device. Should you need to restore your data in the future, follow the steps above but instead of selecting "Back Up Now" you would select "Restore Backup…"
Using iCloud to back up data is normally an automatic process but can be turned off after a backup is done. One benefit of an iCloud backup is that you can restore a second device with the data from the first device, essentially making a copy.
NOTE: If you are restoring a second device with iCloud data, it must have an iOS version that is equal to or greater than the first device.
- Set up iCloud on the iOS device you are running Livescribe+ on by accessing http://www.apple.com/icloud/setup/.
- From that iOS device go to Settings > iCloud > iCloud Drive.
- Activate "Livescribe+" application from the iDrive menu. Once activated, you will be able to restore the Livescribe+ data onto the same device or a new device ( pleae remember to add your other apps that you may need including calendars ).
- Make sure that the iCloud and iDrive options are activated.
- Go back to the iCloud menu hitting the back arrow.
- Go to Back up and select the Back up now option.
To restore your device from the iCloud backup or set up a new device with an iCloud backup, please see https://support.apple.com/kb/ph12521.